Every few weeks, students have gotten 3 roots, and 2 prefixes and 2 suffixes. So far, we have done two sets of this that we will be quizzing on Thursday. The quiz will ask students to define these as well as pick them out from words and explain how the root/prefix/suffix meaning affects the whole words meaning.
Every student needs to have a page that
1. says the root/prefix/suffix
2. the language the root/prefix/suffix is from
3. the root/prefix/suffix definition
4. two to three words that uses the root/prefix/suffix AND what those words mean.
5. Once students have these 4 requirements for a root/prefix/suffix they can then make up a spell using that root/prefix/suffix.
6. Students underline the root/prefix/suffix in their spell
7. students write an explanation of what the spell does that includes the definition of the root/prefix/suffix. Spells can use more than one root/prefix/suffix.
The roots sheets passed out so fart as well as picture examples of the pages are below. Students can also study by making flash cards, pic collages, videos etc.
The roots we are currently working on are rupt, terra, mort, graph, phon(e), and skop/scop
The prefixes we are currently working on are in, im, dis, non, de, mis
The suffixes we are currently working on are -ment, -er/-or, -ation/-tion/